The Commission for Women is a body appointed by the Chancellor to advise on the planning, implementation, and evaluation of university programs, policies, and services designed to improve the status of women on the Knoxville campus of the University of Tennessee.
Apply or nominate an individual to be a member of the Commission for Women today!
Upcoming Event: Second Annual Women in STEM Research Symposium
Each fall, the Commission for Women selects several issues upon which to place particular focus during the coming academic year. For the academic year 2015-16, the Commission will:
- Review and revise bylaws
- Expand advocacy for UT Diversity initiatives
- Support the Women in STEM Committee of the Commission for Women
- Advocate for improved work-life balance for faculty, staff, and graduate students
- Review and recommend revisions to parental leave and maternity information and policies for faculty, staff, and graduate students
- Advocate for the establishment of equitable, clearly designated physical spaces in both new construction and major building renovations to address privacy concerns for women, physically challenged individuals, and transgender persons, including:
- Gender neutral/family/accessible restrooms
- Lactation rooms for faculty, staff, and students
- Review and comment upon UT’s new sexual misconduct and relationship violence reporting guidelines
- Recruit new members