The Commission for Women is a body appointed by the Chancellor to advise on the planning, implementation, and evaluation of university programs, policies, and services designed to improve the status of women on the Knoxville campus of the University of Tennessee.
Check out our calendar of events for Women’s History Month 2017 here!
Apply or nominate an individual to be a member of the Commission for Women today!
Each fall, the Commission for Women selects several issues upon which to place particular focus during the coming academic year. For the academic year 2016-17, the Commission will:
- Review and revise bylaws
- Expand advocacy for UT Diversity initiatives
- Review parental leave policies for birth/adoption and related work-life balance issues
- Particular focus on staff and graduate students
- Review data on women in leadership positions and mentoring processes
- Review and recommend mentoring and professional development to help prepare women for leadership
- Review processes of promotion to full professor
- Specific focus on mentoring of women associate professors for promotion to full professor
- Advocate for awareness surrounding sexual assault and misconduct
- Women’s History Month
- Highlight accomplishments of prominent alumni and promote/support scholarship/research on campus that is related to women
- Support the Women in STEM Committee of the Commission for Women
- Support LGBTQ+ women and the Pride Center
- Advocate for the establishment of equitable, clearly designated physical spaces in both new construction and major building renovations to address privacy concerns for women, physically challenged individuals, and transgender persons, including:
- Gender neutral/family/accessible restrooms
- Lactation rooms for faculty, staff, and students
- Recruit new members